Saturday, April 10, 2004

The simple things in life....

i used to want to sell cakes.... be a helper in a small cake house. My job? Slice bread, stock up the counters, cashiering, talk to people coming to buy the cakes, bread and pastries. Nothing mentally challenging. Just talk about the little things going around the neighborhood. Like how the price of vegetables have increased, how the shop opposite has changed owner, how warm the weather has been lately, what's the latest fashion, how my customers' families are getting along.. den i will go home. no work to bring home. no need to think about tomorrow's work, or the day after's. The only drawback, I don't get to do any mentally-stimulating things. But my mind is freed up to think about a lot of other things, important things in life... and the little unimportant things we take for granted.

i used to just want to be a good mother and wife. Dedicate my life to take care of my spouse and child/ren. Ensure that my spouse will come home to a nice warm place. Bring my children up in an environment of love and belonging. Bring them up to be God-fearing, God-loving and first-hand God-experiencing pple.

i used to be easily contented, so easily contented some of my frens din noe wat to do with me. now? i've forgotten how it was like!! Within the last few years, I have gotten caught up in the rat race so common in Singapore. Now, I am a person who's quite hard on myself. I expect a lot from myself even though I might deceptively tell myself that I am not going to kill my 'life' over work. I get disappointed when I fall short of what I expect of my achievements and performance. Take my concern of grades for example... Take the chicken curry incident for example.... some little things.. and I get upset/uptight, when... they don't matter for eternity!! Just shorten my life by getting my heart to beat faster and my forehead to strain with stress.

i got so caught up in this whirlwind of events that i, without even realizing it, fell into this trap, into this whirlwind where there is no way out. Just go round and round... dizzying around until I'm so used to it I don't know I'm in it, and so never think of getting out.

It was only when I spoke to a brother and a sister on separate occasions on the same day that I realize where I was. G says that "you are still a sell-cake person".. *chuckle* Deep within, I think I'm still the fairly simple and easily contented person, if I can find that 'me' again somewhere deep within. The simple things in life.... *smile* i must learn to appreciate them again... need to find that 'sell-cake gal' again. :)

No comments: