Wednesday, April 21, 2004

The Nitty-Gritties of a Friendship......

I have a very close fren who got upset after she read my blog. Why? Nope, I did not say anything offensive. Nope, I did not bitch behind her back. Nope, I did not reveal any secret which I haven't confided in her... Nope, she's wasn't upset with me. She was upset with herself. Why so? Because she felt that she was unworthy to be my fren since she did not noe the many nitty-gritties that had been happening in my life... like running in macritchie, like having new babies keiki and cookie... and the list goes on....

So, how much do we need to know of our frens before we can call ourselves true frens? As much as possible? Perhaps... But does knowing many things necessarily help us become better frens? To me, a true fren is one who is there when needed. One who remembers the other even when they do not see each other, even when they do not hear each other's voice. And on the day when they finally meet, 'click', they can immediately share their deepest thoughts and feelings even with the 'physical void' that has been between them for a while. Whilst my fren felt upset about herself, I'd like to let her know that she is still one of my closest fren whom I can pour out my fears, my thoughts, my dreams, my concerns (and vice versa), whom we can pray together, and pray for each other. Of course, we may not understand exactly what the other party is going through, but being there to listen, to love, to support, to pray.... that's what I call true frenship.

That, however does not give me the excuse not to make it a point to meet up with frens to catch up. As far as possible, I believe it is necessary. Actions speaks louder than words. Yet, in our given context where everyone is allotted our respective responsibilites we are to excel in, the crux no longer lies in the nitty-gritties... but in the heart...

Frenship.... a wonderful gift... can bring pain... but at the end of the day.. we smile to see what we have learnt and gained from the pain. It may be bitter... but like dark chocolate..... bitter sweetness is something to be savored.....

No comments: