Thursday, April 15, 2004

Of Breast Milk and Powdered Milk....

which is better? what is the effect on the infant? and would there be any long term effects on a person's development? *chuckle*

I'm not into baby stuff even though I've recently joined the rank of being an auntie. :) But of late, the saga of breast milk vs powdered milk just kept surfacing in my conversations with people. Don't ask me how on earth that happened. I have no idea at all... it just ... happened. lol

Well on Sunday when I visited my sister and the little rascal, my mom and eldest sister were just telling me how breastfeeding is much more beneficial to the baby. We looked at the output from my little nephew, it was... hmm... not solid. *chuckle* I was informed by the wiser that only those who are breastfed will produce such output. Those on powdered milk, will produce solid output, because its heaty? I dunno, don't ask me. I'm just saying what I heard. In any case, in my sister's words, "Powdered milk come from cows, not human. Why are our babies consuming milk from cows and not human beings?" I never questioned that, being brought up a 'converted' powder milk baby.

Today, this retired teacher who is doing contract in my school just chatted up with me. The school witnessed a public caning session in the morning. One boy was physically agressive towards his teacher (I heard that he slapped her!!!) So in the staffroom while I was working on my 516 essay, this old teacher asked me, "What would you do if you face such a student?" He was being nice, trying to share his many many years of experience with me. (He started teaching in 1961!!) One preposition he came up with with respect to why student profile and behavior had changed so much over the years is.... because they consume... urm.. powdered milk instead of breast milk? What he said was similar to that of my sister's, that 'they are brought up drinking milk from animals, not human beings!!' Well, it certainly is an interesting preposition. I'm not sure how true it may be, but I certainly wouldn't write off that preposition and think that interesting research studies can be carried out on that!! Certainly many other factors come into play, the debate of "Nature or Nurture" is still carried out in many pyschological and human development studies... but have anyone ever thought of what we feed our kids with? *chuckle*

Alrite, breast milk and powdered milk aside, the teacher posed me an interesting question. "So who's fault do you think it is that students behave the way they do now?" I attribute it to the society at large, the competitiveness of our society. Can't see the link? See, because of the need to remain competitive in our society, parents face pressures which they assert on their children, for their good (or so they think). And hence, the problems teachers face with parents. Students as well. Next, survival in this competitive place has caused many parents to concentrate on their career. Many students I know do not get enough love and attention at home, and hence, they behave the way they do in schools, many a times rooting from the lack of self-esteem and self-awareness given they weren't given the love and attention at home. *sighz* Of course technological advances changing the modes of communication and procurement of information through the Internet also contributes to these changes... Oh no, this is becoming an education essay!!! I'm done with my 516. Why am I still expouding on these? *faint* lol

Okiez, time to start work on map-reading and setting tests. Its gonna be a busy week again.... Gonna watch the Passion of Christ tomorrow. Hopefully it will come to pass and not end up like yesterday evening.. lol...

No comments: