Monday, May 31, 2004

happy-go-lucky or cynical?

two things triggered off this thot. was reading G's blog in which she 'classified' herself as a cynic as well as... wat comes in a package as one being cynical/skeptical. this triggered off a statement EC told me before. i guess i had been a little 'unhappier' maybe a month/few weeks ago, and thus she mentioned to me that the first time she visited my church, when she spoke to ANA, ANA told her that i'm a happy-go-lucky person. but at least my behavior for the past weeks hvn't quite reflected that? :)

So now i pose myself this question. Am I a happy-go-lucky or cynical person? *ponders* I was definitely a happy-go-lucky person in my younger days. Well, even a couple of years back, I was still happy-go-lucky. Perhaps as one goes thro more experiences and events in life, or due to the company one delves himself in, one becomes more critical about things. Hey, nothing wrong with being critical. I tink it is important to be critical without becoming pessimistic/skeptical. Once negativity sets in, it might become a downward spiral going further and further down? I'm not sure.

i like to tink that i'm still happy-go-lucky, except that i'm more reflective and critical (to the point of being skeptical sometimes). G mentioned that being skeptical/cynical helps her gain certain knowledge from reflections that might not hv surfaced if she wasn't. Tt's true. But I believe being happy-go-lucky has its value too. We get different sorts of happiness and disappointments. Perhaps more disappointments because we are more 'susceptible' to them? Well in any case, people come in assortment. Tt's y we complement each other. I need a critical (dun quite like the term cynical, negative connotation attached) person to hold me on track, while a cynical person needs a happy-go-lucky person to remain optimistic in this not too happy world. Well, occasionally we might strangle each other and wonder how 'stupid' the other party is since we dun see eye to eye and thus dun understd the logic of thinking of the other. still.... we need the balance from these pple...

so happy-go-lucky or cynical? hmm.... i tink a lot depends on my 'mood', the circumstances i'm in... i like to say that i'm still a happy-go-lucky person, tinged with some critical-ness for survival... hmm... for leading a fulfuling life. :)

No comments: