for now.....
Last day in PYSS today. Next ground I'm hitting is XXX. Was just commenting to some of my friends that I'm like a nomadic teacher, moving from place to place... But its always been the more 'hardcore' neighborhood schools (HCNSs)... I am so accustomed to dealing with students in these settings... It feels strange to move out of my 'comfort zone'. All the teachers who heard where my posting is told me I'm very lucky... I think I'm blessed... But yet, there is still a sense of apprehension. Afterall, I'm so used to the ways of the HCNSs. If I can't comprehend the students' thoughts and train of logic, the least that I am able to do is anticipate their behaviors. *chuckle* Being in a completely new environment... hmmm....
Today was another crazy day. From 0945 onwards, I was just like a busy busy busy bumble bee.... zipping from class to class... Nonetheless... its a day i've experienced a myriad of emotions. Just before assembly, two reps from 303 passed me a big hand-made card with their fotos and wishes in it. I have yet to read it yet (owing to the list of tasks I have to complete today)... but... I was moved... FOr the rest of my non-teaching periods, students came and go, either doing last minute work, asking me about concepts, or just asking me if I'll be back. It felt 'good' saying that I'm not coming back here.. but at the same time.. it felt sad... especially when I look at their hopeful faces.
The last class with my 'nitemare' class was... as usual. The few 'challenging' students continued their stances. But tis time round I refused to let them disrupt the class and do their fellow classmates a disservice. So splitted them up. They slept. But well, I have to think of those who are interested but have suffered at the expense of their frens mischieve. Sometimes... one has to let go, and today, I have done that.. Not completely, for the benefit of those who deserves it more, I have to let go.... *ponders*
311 was such a sweetie. They prepared a surprise farewell for 3 of us. It was last minute according to a gal. But I thot they did well.. they put in the effort. They got our CTs to be there to hand us a super duper big card... or should i call it chart? with a little gift from perlini's, some pop music in the backgrd and a little cake from angie's. Its not so much what they got us, but the thought... I was really touched... It made me feel like all the efforts I've put in.. are really worthwhile. I'm not saying that this is the goal for doing what I've done.. but its juz when your love and efforts are reciprocated, its one of the most beautiful things... *smile*
THe last music class I had was... chaotic when I tried to get the class to sing the song in parts. They sounded horrid!! (because the boys refused to sing properly!!) But my consolation is that.. they had fun. ANd I scolded less in that class today. lol den it was the mad rush doing the markings... packing... teaching students who came over after school...
Now I'm still a little dazed by today's activities... Haven't gotten time to sit down and consolidate my thoughts and feelings yet. Its goodbye to HCNSs for now. My experience with students from MPSS and PYSS has been tough. But rewarding and good at the end of the day. I grow as a person and learn to love others more in different situations that can arise. I enjoyed the interactions (all kinds!!) with these students... Moving to students of a different profile.. and the absence of boys!! I think I'll miss these sorta students a bit.
But yet, I'm excited about going to the new school where the school adopts the same purpose as me. The frustration in teaching many a times comes not only from students, but from the school systems as well. In PL at least I am given the impression that there is a 'fit' in our purpose and philosophy. How true is this impression? We shall see....
For now, it is goodbye to HCNSs. I do not think its goodbye for good. It might be, but it may not be. Only God knows. But for now... I'm gonna miss my students.....