Tuesday, June 15, 2004

I'm home.....

Have yet to consolidate my thoughts for this entire trip.

It has been a good trip for all the participants. How so? I see that everyone has been touched by God through the children. Eyes have also been opened to see the needs of many others... things we have taken for granted... A shelter to go back to, knowing and having a choice of when to have our next meal(s), bug-free beds, accessible drinking water, variety of food, peace.... and the list goes on. It is only my prayer that what has been seen, heard and felt will remain in each heart, and spread beyond. I believe that once one sees these, their lives will never be the same again. And I'm really joyful for the many eyes that have been opened.

It has been a good trip for myself. Not 'impactful'. But good. How so? Firstly, I am glad to be involved in the youths' lives in sharing the experience of Cambodia and all with them. I'm surprised by how one or two of them actually looked up to me in the area of missions. I mean, seriously, sometimes I think I've sort of 'screwed up' my life, been an 'unholy' and nonchalant Christian. But yet, God has been merciful to me. This gives me more impetous to go back to my Abba's heartbeat for the world. To remember what is on His mind and heart. Suddenly the minute things in my life pales in comparison to the things that count for eternity.

Second reason why it has been good for me... As mentioned, I'm reminded of the many needs and cries out in the world... Two years away from missions has been replaced by many little things in life that has distracted me. The all-familiar feeling came back to me... It took a bit of adjustment. First two days in Cambodia i was like "Gosh, all these bugs, etc etc... I wonder how I can take it if I'm going to be here long term..." With each day that passes, I begin to feel at home once again. I begin to see the many lives again. I begin to see how each can be transformed to one filled with assurance and eternal joy... I begin to see how it is all worth it. I questioned my bong srey who's there, how she could be away from home, and settle here for the children. Her reply was that, she's not a 'capable' person. But, its all about obedience. If she says that she loves God, she'll want to serve Him. And this is how she does it. If the Lord calls again, can I do it? My prayer is that I will say, "Yes Lord, I'll go..." For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21

So what next? I challenged my new godbrother and a few other youths. What next? I pose myself the same question. Frankly I have no idea. Still consolidating my thoughts. But its definitely good to be out there in the field again, to see how the Lord is continuously working, to look beyond the myopic perspective again. :)

No comments: