Five years ago, I met her in my 3-mth stint in Cambodia. She was the daughter of Laundy. They were staying with us in my aparrment to take care of an infant.
Rattana, was a dark, 5-year old. Thin. Long limbs. Pretty curls. Big eyes. She was smart. What makes my heart each time was when she broke into her sweet smile and chuckle.
She would come into my room in the day. Sit beside me by the table while I prepare for the English classes. She would draw using the paper and pencil provided for her. Sometimes house, sometimes cat. I have a cat in my journal drawn by her on one of the occasions. My table always had some snacks, one of it was preserved fruits (long and squiggly type). I would feed her with those and each time we both put those into our mouths, we would cringe together. But the practice continued. She was a curious lad everready to learn new English words. I was folding away my laundry, and she would ask me what they were in English - skirt, shorts, shirt. We played lanterns during Mid-Autumn festival.
Two years later, I saw her in COSI. As usual, I carried her and piggy-backed her.. But she got heavier. One afternoon, while we were at the playground, she was sitting on my lap on a swing. Her dark palms on mine. And I thought to myself, one day, she will outgrow me. Her hands will grow bigger, she can't sit on my lap anymore.
Two days ago, I saw her in my church sanctuary. She was tall - at my chest. She's 12. Her hair was less wavy. But still the same sweet smile. She brightened my tough day.
That night, the memories came back so fresh to me. The smell of the dust in the evening air outside the MC in Cambodia, the touch of the dark hardwood study table I use each day in my room, my currently 5 years old notebook, the smell of the soaps I used, the golden sunsets, the feel of the tiled floors of the office on barefoot, the babies, the dusty sanctuary. That night, I remembered Cambodia the way I have not for a long long time.
I will be meeting her soon today with CP and OL. For her, I will make time. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment