Saturday, January 29, 2005

Of different professions...

Two professions came to my mind this two days as I look around me.

1. The Security Guard
Friday morn, I saw, the dark siluette of my sch's security guard at the gate, directing the gals to enter from the small gate instd of the one for the cars. I always enter by the other gate, so neva got to see him, or to notice his early-in-the-morn usual motions.

Friday afternn. I was busing home. Took a diff route. Passed by a condo. I saw a security guard sitting just outside the guardhouse on a stool.

I thot to myself, these pple, how are their jobs like? How do they pass their day? What goes through their minds each day as they go through the 'mundane?', 'fruitful?' hours.... mins.... secs...... Was this the job they really want to hold? If so, good. If not, why? Education? Age? given most of them are the retired pple....

2. The 'Pirates' in JB
I was in JB w a fren today (identity will not b disclosed given contents of tis entry). In our 'Katong' area, as expected, as we pass by these 'pirates' they will go 'Ms, wan to watch shows? Come tis way.. we have many shows.'

My fren had to buy dvds for my fren's fren. So we popped in some of these just to do some price comparisons. Much to our surprise, when we gave the name of the shows, they went 'Come inside here'. The door opens... and WOW! i mean...
WOW! *laughs* {There's even a cam checking on activities outside} Tis repeats itself a second time at another shop. Did my fren manage to get the stuff? How wld I noe? I went to the bathroom.

We cont'd shopping. Suddenly, the shutters of ALL these 'pirates' shops are down. THey start sitting outside, talking on their mobiles. Business was as usual . They still ask passerbys the same qns. When anyone show interest, up goes the shutter.
Prospective customers step in. Down comes the shutter. After some time, up goes the shutter. The customer/shopper exits. Down comes the shutter.

There was a sign on one of the shops saying.... Hiring employees. I wonder.... how are the lives of these 'pirates'?

As for me, I'm still a teacher, leaving my life. Monotonous at times, crazy at times, depressing at times, happy at times, contented at times...

How many possibilities and permutations of lives can there be out there? Only God knows.


No comments: