1. Of rapids & drains
We did rafting across rapids. Highest grade was 3+, so no big deal. Out of curiousity, i asked my guide cum instructor whether he knew how rapids were formed. I would teach my students that rapids are resultant features from presence of riverbeds with bands of rocks with different resistance. (or something like that, cant phrase it correctly now). He's answer was interesting.... Using limited amt of vocab, he explained to me that... underneath the river are drains.... Same concept, different expression. :)
2. Of hills & mountains
We started our trek at about 1500m. Technically speaking, we are oredi on mountains. I stood amazed at the endless mountain ranges as far as my eyes can see... my guide Malang pointed out to us when i referred to those ahead of me as mountains... 'Those are not mountains, they are JUST HILLS." To them, mountains would encompass big buddies like Everest, Daulakiri, etc, snowcapped ones.. the rest... could be 3000m in height, etc, but they are only hills in comparison to those rising above 6000m. In sch, i teach my kids, hills are 600m and below, mountains above 600m. Den again, wat gives me the right to tell my guide that he is wrong? He is more right than anyone of us given the context of where he comes from.... where 2000m highlands are considered midgits.... :)
3. Of the smell.... of smoke..
I realized that in Nepal, whether you are in the city, or the mountains, you will smell smoky (as long as there is 'civilization' or, presence of human). However, smokiness can be differentiated as well. In city, the smokey smell comes from incense... offered in temples... in small worship corners dedicated to their gods along the streets.. everywhere... or worse, cremation... (i witnessed one, it wasn't pleasant, more thots abt it later).... In the hills, smoke comes from burnt firewood.. for warmth.. for cooking... Wherever I got, I smell of smoke... but I'll definitely prefer the latter over the former for obvious reasons....
4. Of Karmasutra
This is a joke. I mean, a sad joke lah. At Dubar Square, our self-declared guide Toya was pointing out to the roof of one of the temples (out of the many in that small area!! very bizarre area!!), saying, if you note, underneath that carving is the carving of karmasutra.... I looked hard... very hard.... Looking for something 'sutra-like'. Sutra to me is like.. scriptures? Am i wrong? I DUNNO!! Anyhow, I cldn't find any inscriptions etc.. and i looked REALLY hard.. and I asked him... "Wat's karmasutra?" My travelmate was shocked! Both of them were embarassed... more for me than anyone else.... *chuckles* But hell, I REALLY DUNNO WAT IT WAS!!! only heard of makan sutra wat... so karmasutra shhld be something like karma-sutra (scripture for karma/doing good?) Oh watever. i noe wat it is now.. *laughs*
Many many more thots but I'm way too tired to post for now... Overall, its been a good trip... Amongst the many things, the mountains are my favorite!! :) Still loading up my fotos, will take days to get things done (if i can even find time to!!) Those interetsed in seeing the pics, email me. :)
Friday, December 24, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment